By Jena Griffiths | July 9, 2014
Here’s a short video that effectively demonstrates what is right now pouring into our atmosphere in huge volumes wherever arctic ice is melting.
Why should you be concerned?
Why is this important?
This is really dangerous for life on this planet because Methane (CH4) is much much more potent than CO2 in trapping heat in our atmosphere and oceans. The challenge for us humans is this: there are vast reserves of frozen Methane under every ocean and under melting ice sheets. This methane is being released as the oceans warm and the ice melts.
How much more potent is Methane?
Estimates range between 86 times more potent and 26 times more potent depending on if you are looking at 10 year or 100 year figures. (Over a 10 year period Methane is 86 times more potent than Carbon Dioxide and over a 100 year period 26 times more potent.)
Why isn’t Global warming more visible?
Here’s an image and a video that show how the oceans have been absorbing most of the heat until now and how that impacts Methane release.
What can we do?
1. Find a philanthropist who is willing to invest prize money that will inspire serious contenders to invest time in finding a solution.
2. Put your own brain to work. Dream up a solution or join a think tank to spark ideas off other people to solve this challenge.
3. Host a think tank through a university and get expert facilitation free of charge.
4. Ask everyone you know, even lobby oil and other energy companies, to fund this solution-seeking challenge.
We still have a chance
to harvest this Methane before it escapes into the atmosphere.
5. Explore ways to put carbon back into the soil or earth
See comments below for more data
Here’s a good summary of what is at stake